Teesside University is based on a single campus in Middlesbrough, a lively, multicultural town in north-east England. Tees Valley is a fantastic place to live, with coast and countryside on the doorstep.
Teesside University is consistently in the top 10 in the UK for overall average international student satisfaction (International Student Barometer 2008-12). We have more than 22,000 students, with an international community of more than 500 from over 100 countries. Our strong teaching record is complemented by excellent student support and modern facilities. We offer innovative courses and professionally accredited qualifications and generous scholarships.
Areas of undergraduate and postgraduate study include animation, games, petroleum technology, chemical engineering, network systems, applied science, business, computing, design, media, engineering and technology, forensic and crime scene investigation, health and social care, history, law and criminal justice, psychology, sociology and sport.
We are the first and only modern university to be awarded Times Higher Education University of the Year. Many programmes are oriented towards specific careers, and a wide range offer industry accreditation. We have been recognised for the quality of our courses following reviews by the university quality watchdogs, the Higher Education Funding Council for England and the Quality Assurance Agency. Our programmes are highly respected by local and international employers.
• We have specialist engineering labs for the built environment, computer-aided design and manufacture, control systems, electrotechnology and telecommunications, plus specialist pilot plant facilities for chemical and mechanical engineering and nanotechnology.
• Put theory into practice with our excellent sporting facilities, combined with physiology and biomechanics labs, a hydrotherapy pool and an environmental chamber.
• Benefit from our new dental practice facility and clinical skills labs (four wards, 17 beds), with life-size training dummies, manual handling hoists, delivery beds, cots and midwifery equipment.
• Get creative in our life drawing, music and HD TV studios, facilities for animation, post-production, motion capture, radio recording and editing, and the first purpose-built convergent newsroom in a UK university.
• Experiment in our new sound stage facility, including a state-of-the-art recording studio, lighting rig, stedicam, large HD green/blue screen and a specialist Mark Roberts’ motion control system.
• International students rate our library space as the best in the UK, according to the International Student Barometer 2012. Four floors of quality, up-to-date resources with experienced staff on-hand, 1,300 places for individual and group study, access to over 40,000 books and 29,500 journals, over 400 PCs across all floors and specialist academic librarians for each subject area.
Our Focus on Employability
Teesside has an established and developing research reputation, and we have a strong record of graduates entering employment and further study. Our focus is on your career path, not just your graduation day. Our graduates have progressed to jobs in education, health, government, social services and voluntary sectors, as well as a massive number of commercial companies around the world.
• 100% of mechanical engineering, and instrumentation and control engineering graduates, 94% of electrical and electronic engineering graduates and 90% of chemical engineering graduates are in work or further study within six months from graduating (latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education employability data, 2012-13).
• We are one of the top 20 places in the world for courses in animation and computer games, according to 3D World.
• 93% of our history students are satisfied with their course, 90% of design students and 90% of English students (National Student Survey 2013).
Teesside University is based in Middlesbrough – a friendly multicultural town with all the shops, supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, clubs, sports and museums you could wish for.
• We’re easy to get to. Durham Tees Valley Airport is 13 miles away and Newcastle Airport is less than 50 miles away – and we pick you up for free from either.
• Teesside remains an important centre for heavy industry with a strong history of making steel and manufacturing chemicals. Our modern-day strengths lie in renewable energy, digital technology activities, science and the service sector.
• We are close to wonderful coastline - Saltburn-by-the-Sea with great architecture and good surfing, and Whitby is a pretty fishing port. North of Middlesbrough is the historic quay at Hartlepool.
• For beautiful countryside you can also visit our two national parks - North York Moors and Yorkshire Dales - and areas of outstanding natural beauty.
• You can travel by train to nearby Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne and York. And London and Edinburgh are less than three hours away. In fact it’s easy to explore the whole of the UK with Middlesbrough as your base.
Find out more: